Thursday 19 August 2021

Poverty and Perceptions of Play




 Just popping by to share this insightful article 

In a perceived ‘middle class’ context, the sight of children creating, building, getting mucky, and congregating in groups to play boisterously is encouraged. Yet how differently perceived are children engaging in the same activities with limited resources in a ‘working class’ context such as a council estate. Something to think about.

‘The stigma attached to poverty and low incomes begins early in childhood. When children make dens in parent-funded woodland sessions, their play is valued, encouraged and understood as a part of their development. The same natural play on a housing estate can be viewed as anti-social behaviour, and children’s dens are dismantled and disposed of.’


2 comments:

  1. Oooof!! Wow,that's a real eye-opener, isn't it? Privilege and wealth and perception. Wow, again.

    I remember we used to play in what I imagine must have been a vacant lot when we were kids -- we called it The Clarts :), because it tended to get mucky. I can only imagine how that would be viewed now...it being a working-class neighbourhood and our play accessories were scavenged bits of wood and abandoned shopping trolleys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true. I remember when we lived in a council estate when the kids were little. I was hyper aware that their clothes be super clean and their hair done nicely when we went out. I was a teen mum too and was aware of the sterotypes and judgements that came with our socio-economic status. Thankfully, we had the privilege of a beautiful park walking distance from our home and a national trust property with massive gardens that the kids used as a second garden, where they could run wild and free, especially during term time (homeschooling perks ;). I feel deeply for kids and families in highrises and city estates especially during lockdown.

      Delete

I treasure each and every one of your comments.
Your kind words never fail to bring a smile to my face:)
At the moment I am going through a busy season of life with 5 girls under my wing! I may not always be able to respond immediately but please know that every word left here is read and appreciated deeply.
xx