Friday 30 October 2020

The Idolatry of Work











Work is important. But a certain kind of overwork that has become so prevalent and celebrated in our culture is destructive rather than creative.

Homeschooling high school age kids I often feel the pull to put aside true creative endeavour and things that matter most of all such as quiet times that cultivate our connection to each other and God in order to press on towards ticking off an ever increasing and impossible check list.

Perhaps what I’m saying is there are many kinds of work. 

The kind of work that has a marketable value may not necessarily be the most valuable work.

.

And every day, the world will drag you by the hand, yelling, “This is important! And this is important! And this is important! You need to worry about this! And this! And this!” And each day, it’s up to you to yank your hand back, put it on your heart and say, “No. This is what’s important.

Iain Thomas

.

. “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” - Matthew 11:28-30 .

2 comments:

  1. So good to visit you again. As always, your photos and beautiful and yes, there are different kinds of work and some is love focused. At least that's the way I feel when I'm with my kids. Wishing you well and a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!
      Love focused work is always good work. Wishing you a beautiful weekend too!

      Delete

I treasure each and every one of your comments.
Your kind words never fail to bring a smile to my face:)
At the moment I am going through a busy season of life with 5 girls under my wing! I may not always be able to respond immediately but please know that every word left here is read and appreciated deeply.
xx