Tuesday, 11 June 2013

Rambles on media, news, alex jones and human conciousness (not too heavy then :)


I rarely watch TV and never read newspapers or listen to the news. I find that it often distorts my perception. It also often makes me feel negative about the world, less hopeful, more judgemental and more self conscious and pressurized. I come away feeling drained.

I love this passage in Philippians : "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

I find myself happier and less burdened by following it. I'm quite a practical person and with 5 kids and a busy life I have to go with whatever works :)

However, a friend of mine who is into this kind of thing and has provided the article linked to below told me to watch this "news" "program" yesterday.

I am not an Alex Jones follower, neither do I know very much about him. His opinions, and his world view are, most likely, just like the rest of ours, a mix of truth and falsehood, objectivity and subjectivity.

However, what struck me most about this piece was the way it was set up from the start. It had a denouncing tone from the offset, as if any rational mind should already be made up on the subject, thus (subliminally) undermining the validity of any counter viewpoint.

The whole piece seemed set up to ridicule anyone who might possibly question the system, or have an unconventional view of things. Mr. Jones's unmeasured tone played into this perfectly. I doubt he fully realized this at the time. Surely, how many reasonable people would want to align themselves with his position after such a performance?

Yet when we look at many of the facts, Mr Jones has quite a few points to make. Here are some that stood out for me and made me wonder...

  • Is it right that the most powerful people in the world (people who are powerful because of their wealth, or people who have been given authority by the wealthy) should gather together in a closed room to discuss matters which will affect the rest of us?
  • Is it right that so many decisions seem to have been, and indeed,  are being taken without any real input from the ordinary people?
  • Were we ever asked if we wanted fluoride in our water?
  • Have we been asked whether we want GM foods polluting our ecosystem?
  • Do we have a serious say in the educational curriculum?
  • Is our voice heard by those in authority?
  • Do we have a say as to whether we become involved in global conflicts?
  • Were we informed prior to the fact that many totalitarian regimes were constructed by Western governments on the premise that powerful corporations could mine their countries precious minerals, natural gas, oil and raw materials in return?
  • According to it's rich natural resources Africa should be one of the wealthiest and self sustainable continents on the earth shouldn't it?
  • How many things have been and are being kept from us ( for our best interest) but those in charge?
  • Do you ever wonder why there has been a huge increase in ADHD, Autism, Cancer?
  • Do modern paradigms offer us a fully meaningful life and a dignified death? Are certain paradigms being forced upon us?
  •  Do you feel certain agendas and belief systems are pushed while others are ridiculed, demonized or entirely ignored? 
I kind of do.

The media is owned and run by a few very powerful people, and ultimately they provide the cloak and mirrors. They are the masters of ceremonies that decide what is broadcast and what is not creating a framework, or frameworks, of perception.

How many people watch the news or read a paper first thing in the morning, thus setting a tone of thought for the day?
Ancient cultures gave the morning to the sacred, whether that be ritual, prayer, meditation or simply a family gathering together to eat. Maybe there is a reason for that.

Certainly the media does a very good job of creating a consensus of belief and judgement within hierarchies of society. In fact hierarchies, and class systems are often defined, and perpetuated through media stereotypes. Surely this is divisive.

Media often creates an " in group" consensus of norms and values that scaffold many a bias or prejudice. It also conveniently diverts people's attention away from issues that will really effect them.

Powerlessness leads to apathy and apathy in naturally compliant to the status quo, however damaging the status quo might be.
 I think a lot of people are feeling somewhat powerless at the moment. Sometimes simply reading an article you agree with can give you a transitory feeling of empowerment without actually effecting any change in the long run.

So the media establishes quite an efficient syphon.  For if we are busily distracted or quarrelling with and blaming one another we might never awaken to the humanity of those different to us, and realise our ultimate oppressor is a common one.

All human beings share the same inner desires for beauty, love, family, freedom, honesty and meaning. We also share the same sickness for prejudice, greed and fear.
Sadly much of the media seems to feed one side of our personalities, while starving the other.

Over time the thoughts, opinions and overall tone of that which we dwell upon sinks into our minds and defines our perceptions of the world.

So much power comes from our consciousness.

Physical manifestations grow from concealed roots; those roots are our beliefs and our energies.
Sometimes we are not even aware of where our feelings and beliefs come from, their roots are so concealed.

Wherever they stem from, that place will either grow weeds or flowers  and they will in turn, pollinate others. The Buddha says it way better... and more concisely  :)...

 “Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think. Suffering follows an evil thought as the wheels of a cart follow the oxen that draws it. 
Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think. Joy follows a pure thought like a shadow that never leaves.

Let's not allow our roots to become contaminated. Let's steep them in goodness and beauty.
Put them out into the gentle (unbiased) light of love and hope.
I don't believe this is idealism, I just believe it is the way stuff works.

 Sending much love "out to all who read this funny ramble of words that just had to get out of my head onto paper today :)


 "If we remember those times and places—and there are so many—where people have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act, and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction.
And if we do act, in however small a way, we don’t have to wait for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory.

Howard Zinn


19 comments:

  1. Much love to you too dear Suzy. You have no idea have much your words have meant to me lately. Thank you!!! With love, Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renee :) I always feel nervous about putting things like this out there. I want so much for this space to contribute to the light not re-has the dark. Your comment means a lot :)
      xx

      Delete
  2. i love those quotes, so very appropriate at this time. i, too, tend to shy away from news media, i get so exhausted by what seems to be the ugliness of humans, the selfishness and greed. it weighs me done and stops me from moving forward, makes me feel powerless. i try everyday to look at the world as a good and hopeful place. thank you for this lovely, thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I agree with you, looking to the good is something I have to do. I beleive in the goodness, wish their was more air time given over to it!
      xx

      Delete
  3. I love this post. So much of what you wrote makes sense to me and I have similar feelings about news media. A lot of times I feel like things are publicized to scare the public or force conformity. When I read the news it makes me feel sad or stuck but I know that their are so many good people in the world. I just always try to let my light shine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Kathleen :) I think you are right, letting our own light shine in our own corner of the world makes more difference than we can imagine!

      Delete
  4. A thoughtful post that had me shaking my head in agreement with you. I too avoid TV, the news and the newspaper. We tune into the news to catch the weather and the traffic if we are traveling somewhere :)

    Love what Kathleen said about letting our own light shine...it is really all we can do. And then hope it moves someone else to let their light shine, and so on....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Kim :) Your light shines beautifully :)

      Delete
  5. this is good suzy. i really like your thoughts here and i agree with you. we don't watch the news either and sometimes people look at me like i'm crazy because i don't know what they are talking about. and i'm okay with that ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just the same Amy :) I think people have realised I actually live down a rabbit hole by now.... or maybe that should be a hobbit hole :)

      Delete
  6. Much love to you, Suzy. Thank you for shining your light here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) I truly beleive in the light, there are so many truly good people out there, like Mister Rogers says, I believe in the "helpers". I believe they will always overcome in the end.

      Delete
  7. Suzy, I am always so happy to read your eloquently written intelligent thoughts. You are a light in the dark. It's so cool that you are able to put into words what many if us are thinking and feeling. Never stop when you feel the need to write. Your words help many. Love, Anushka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Anushka :) Your encouraging words mean a great deal :)xx

      Delete
  8. Your rambles are wonderful, so many of them resonate with me. Reading this has made me realise that I have not heard any news for weeks (we have no TV and never buy newspapers) and that I have stopped seeking it out. Unconsciously I have opted out of it and feel better for it. It is so draining to hear such negativity all the time.

    I loved reading this post, thank you for taking the time to write it and share with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for writing this. Brave, it is.

    Shine on,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Rebecca :) And many thanks for your comment. It means a lot to realise I'm not the only one with these thoughts in my head :) I appreciate your words. xx

      Delete

I treasure each and every one of your comments.
Your kind words never fail to bring a smile to my face:)
At the moment I am going through a busy season of life with 5 girls under my wing! I may not always be able to respond immediately but please know that every word left here is read and appreciated deeply.
xx