Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Yarn Along - A Doll Family

Joining Ginny @ Small Things today for "Yarn Along
...
{knitting}


I had so much fun knitting up our Christmas stocking doll family, I knew that I would probably make a family for tilly tilda too.


There is a wonderful satisfaction in knitting for small wee people and dolls!
Creating something that is the same as a large version yet dimensionally smaller has a kind of magic about it that I'll probably never get over!


I love Mama dolls rosy cheeks (she is "very fond of walking" as Elizabeth Bennet  would say!)
She also has her own wee little yarn basket with her very own ball of hand spun merino yarn. Mama doll loves to knit, of course!


Little brother is very playful, but has a sensitive heart and a deep connection to animals!


Big Sis is a tomboy. Her favourite colour is lilac and she loves to read adventure books.

It's funny how dolls come alive as they are being created. Their personalities come through their cloth until they are probably as vivid to a doll maker as a character in a book is to an author.

{Reading}

I have been engrossed in "Silas Marner" after finishing "Mill on the Floss."

Here is a fragment that grabbed my attention last night.... Warning, some spoilers ahead!...

Silas, as a character, is a lonely being without connection or kin. As his stash of gold coins increases by the hearth, the vitality of his life is reduced to the purpose of simple amassing more
....
He seemed to weave, like the spider, from pure impulse, without reflection. Every man's work, pursued steadily, tends in this way to become an end in itself, and so to bridge over the loveless chasms of life. Silas's hand satisfied itself with throwing the shuttle, and his eye with seeing the little squares in the cloth complete themselves under his effort. Then there were the calls of hunger; and Silas, in his solitude, had to provide his own breakfast, dinner, and supper, to fetch his own water from the well, and put his own kettle on the fire; and all these immediate promptings helped, along with the weaving, to reduce his life to the unquestioning activity of a spinning insect."

...

Yet from this exhausted, solitary, narrow, mire springs fresh a new being... a little girl, and orphan child that has been led by the hand of heaven, it seems, to Silas Marner's door ...

 “In old days there were angels who came and took men by the hand and led them away from the city of destruction. We see no white-winged angels now. But yet men are led away from threatening destruction: a hand is put into theirs, which leads them forth gently towards a calm and bright land, so that they look no more backward; and the hand may be a little child's.” 

Maybe angels come in the guise of people sometimes. I have found this to be true in my own life.

19 comments:

  1. Your dolls are just beautiful. Their personalities shine through and I expect they were a joy to create.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a beautiful talent Suzy. All the dolls are so beautiful.
    How are you and your girls? I missed you over Lent and am glad you
    are once again back in this space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dolls look just lovely. My girls loved looking at them. Happy Knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness...those dolls are so gorgeous. And I've been looking for some sweet little dolls for the dollhouse I'm making for Julia... And I see that you have them for sale in your shop... *ahem* I'll be right back... ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Meghann :) It'll be an absolute pleasure to send these dolls to your lovely family! I'm so pleased they've found such a happy home. I know they'll be delighted to have their very own dollhouse!

      Delete
  5. The dolls are beautiful...I need to find a source for the doll bodies in this country. If anyone knows, email me! Not long ago we watched the Masterpiece Theater version of Silas Marner, and I thought that Ben Kingsley did a top-notch job of portraying Silas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what the shipping costs would be Nadja (they are based in the UK) but we get our doll bodies from Myriad online.
      Ben Kingsley is wonderful, I bet that was a great production!

      Delete
  6. aww those dolls are super cute; I can almost see them walking the moors!!! Have a knitty wednesday xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're so very sweet! I particularly like the purple dress on big sister(?)

    It's been a while since I've read Silas Marner, I have a little old hard-backed edition of it on the bookshelf across from me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Added your dolls to my Pinterest, I love them! That book sounds wonderful. I think ilk have to make it my next read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Silas marker is one of my favorites! And your dolls, amazing as usual. Really makes me want to buy more :) I love you suzy and I'm so glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are adorable! And I love the props you're using with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What charming little dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  12. those dolls are perfect! so so sweet. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are very talented at giving dolls personalities! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The dolls are "absolutely beguiling" as an elderly friend of mine used to say! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I treasure each and every one of your comments.
Your kind words never fail to bring a smile to my face:)
At the moment I am going through a busy season of life with 5 girls under my wing! I may not always be able to respond immediately but please know that every word left here is read and appreciated deeply.
xx