Wednesday, 12 December 2012

Advent Activities

 tilda wistful
 
It seems so long since I last stepped foot in this little space.
It is a very calming and clarifying thing to step away from the on line world. There seems to be so much back-ground "noise" in life these days.

I am one of these people that needs to focus on one thing at a time and really, fully experience that thing whatever that thing may be.

It could be a book, or a blog post, a movie, a person, a conversation, a piece of music or a project.

Sometimes I feel so many  fragments of information fall from the sky into my head.

I just need to sit in the quiet and process for a while, clear out the figurative debris, so to speak and let what settles really settle.

 emmy's crocheted bunting

I am using "Mary's Star Path" from this lovely book.

We have decorated a little nook around the shelving near my craft box and every morning Boo plays the song from the book on recorder while we sing along and move Mary along the star path taking a star from her feet and sticking it on the night sky to light her path.
The girls then read a page from this book .

mary's star path

 Simple is the way we wander here.

transparencies

We have also been busy making paper chains, lanterns, window stars and transparencies,

 (Lot's of inspiration here) .

The older two girls especially love this part of Autumn/Winter. And the littler ones just love the sight of candlelight and colour altogether :)

drawing

cutting out the transparency

step one

warm

 Saint Nicholas Celebrations

We read a part of the stories from this website every day from the 6th of December which is the Feast of Saint Nicholas.
The girls like to act out each scene, day by day.
By the time we have completed all the stories they have a full play composed.


This could be my favourite cold day poem ever.

Ode to My Socks

Mara Mori brought me
a pair of socks
which she knitted herself
with her sheepherder's hands,
two socks as soft as rabbits.
I slipped my feet into them
as if they were two cases
knitted with threads of twilight and goatskin,
Violent socks,
my feet were two fish made of wool,
two long sharks
sea blue, shot through
by one golden thread,
two immense blackbirds,
two cannons,
my feet were honored in this way
by these heavenly socks.
They were so handsome for the first time
my feet seemed to me unacceptable
like two decrepit firemen,
firemen unworthy of that woven fire,
of those glowing socks.

Nevertheless, I resisted the sharp temptation
to save them somewhere as schoolboys
keep fireflies,
as learned men collect
sacred texts,
I resisted the mad impulse to put them
in a golden cage and each day give them
birdseed and pieces of pink melon.
Like explorers in the jungle
who hand over the very rare green deer
to the spit and eat it with remorse,
I stretched out my feet and pulled on
the magnificent socks and then my shoes.

The moral of my ode is this:
beauty is twice beauty
and what is good is doubly good
when it is a matter of two socks
made of wool in winter.




11 comments:

  1. My dearest Suzy,
    I have thought of you often and am so happy to see you back in this space.
    I am glad all are well and little Nola is much better, that fever sounds scary. I will pray for your parents, it's so hard as they age, I am going through the same thing with my mom.
    It is a joy to see all the creative wonders that are made in your home, you are always so inspiring.
    Take care of yourself. Oh, and congratulations to Tania!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely to see you back. So sorry to hear that your parents have not been well, it is hard when they are not well. Your crafting looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there! It is nice to step away once in a while. Sorry about your parents. Love the crafting you've been doing. My girls would love those stencils.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed your posts, as you know! Your crafting is so lovely; I am inspired to make some of those transparencies (I need to order the paper soon!)--they are incredibly lovely. I'll keep your parents in my prayers...I have so many people I am praying for right now who are experiencing really scary things that I often finish my prayers with, "And please, Blessed Mother, pray for those I've promised to pray for and send them a blessing," because the list runs so long that I am sure I must be forgetting someone! I love Pablo Neruda...I think I may have been in high school when I discovered him, or maybe it was later, but I love his poems.

    Continue to enjoy your Advent with your lovelies and Tani.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely to have you back in your space. Such inspiring things going on in your home, it all looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry to hear your parents aren't well and Nola was ill too. They will be in my thoughts and prayers. I love the idea of putting the stars traveled by Mary into the sky to light her way.The transparencies are gorgeous and its nice to see the pictures of how one was made

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to see you back. You have been missed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A belated hello! I'm sorry about your parents, I will keep them in my prayers, and all your family. What beautiful art, and traditions, you're making.

    ReplyDelete
  9. how did i miss this post? i have so missed your posts, wise words, lovely images. i hope you christmas so lovely and your parents are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you're back! I am so sorry to hear about your parents. Your blog has such a healing and gentle quality. Thanks for sharing your gifts. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I treasure each and every one of your comments.
Your kind words never fail to bring a smile to my face:)
At the moment I am going through a busy season of life with 5 girls under my wing! I may not always be able to respond immediately but please know that every word left here is read and appreciated deeply.
xx