Thursday 4 August 2011

{Ode to the Smell of Wood}... A month of poems

DSC07468

Late, with the stars
open in the cold
I open the door.
The sea
galloped
in the night.

Like a hand
from the dark house
came the intense
aroma
of firewood in the pile.

The aroma was visible
as
if the tree
were alive.
As if it still breathed.

Visible
like a garment.

Visible
like a broken branch.

I walked
into
the house
surrounded
by that balsam-flavored
darkenss.
Outside
the points
in the sky sparkled
like magnetic stones
and the smell of the wood

touched
my heart
like some fingers,
like jasmine,
like certain memories.

It wasn't the sharp smell
of the pines,
no,
it wasn't
the break in the skin
of the eucalyptus,
neither was it
the green perfumes
of the grapevine stalk,
but
something more secret,
because that fragrance
only one
only one
time existed,
and there, of all I have seen in the world
in my own house at night, next to the winter sea,
was waiting for me
the smell
of the deepest rose,
the heart cut from the earth,
something that invaded me like a wave
breaking loose
from time
and it lost itself in me
when I opened the door
of the night.

Pablo Neruda translated by Jodey Bateman

forest embrace

4 comments:

  1. Pablo Neruda is one of my favorites! This was such a wonderful read to start the day.

    The poem and your photos were so perfect together! They're just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect poem to go with your beautiful pictures Suzy. I hope you are enjoying August.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely, peaceful poem to read. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

I treasure each and every one of your comments.
Your kind words never fail to bring a smile to my face:)
At the moment I am going through a busy season of life with 5 girls under my wing! I may not always be able to respond immediately but please know that every word left here is read and appreciated deeply.
xx